Saturday, October 28, 2006

Things Are Not As They Seem

Turns out the "grandfather" that got beat up was not a victim of a random act of violence and the perpatrators were all adults. Does that make it any better? Does the fact that it was in retaliation for a drug deal gone bad change things? So he wasn't attacked by a bunch of random teenagers who thought that they would get their jollies by beating up some silver haired man (turns out he's not so silver haired either). He is a man who got messed up in organized crime and got the snot kicked out of him. Some might say "you mess with the bull, you get the horns." I must admit I felt a little relieved to know that it was a result of his own actions (whatever they were), but then I realized that there is still an element that is present that shouldn't be there. I may not be the one getting beaten up but I sure don't want to live where one is getting beaten up even if they "had it comming." I don't sleep any better at night knowing that I or someone I love won't be randomly selected for a thrashing, because I still here the screaming. Or maybe its the fact that I ate all that crap and am now suffering from indigestion.

**************

Just so you know Miss New Teacher didn't leave the school. She is now one of the resource room teachers and will be occasionally helping the Kindergarteners with their literacy program.

8 comments:

Proud Mum said...

So does that mean that the kindergarten class has a fourth new teacher?

Allrie said...

Thanks for the update. Yeah, at first thought, it does feel better that it was not just some random act by hooligans, but on second thoughts, it's not too comfortable to think of something like that in your community--whether it be a neighborhood, a block, an apartment complex or a town. Seems like it belongs on "Law and Order" and that's where we'd like it to stay. Unfortunately, that sort of thing occurs all to often, even in "good" areas.

Glad to hear you didn't 'lose' another teacher.

Alyson said...

PM- Sorry I wasn't clear. Their second teacher didn't move away. She is still at the same school just as a resource room teacher.

Personally I think we are going to burn through this teacher too. There are 19 kids in morning and affternoon classes. She has no prep time and she really does need an aid for both classes due to behavioral problems. The curiculum is new to her and I just think the principal is asking too much.

I spoke with Tweedle E's newest teacher and she said she stays up til 1 or 2 in the morning to prepare for class.

Philosophical Karen said...

I'm sorry about the difficulties you are having with the school. I know from experience that any worries dealing with a child's education can be a major headache. I hope everything goes a little smoother from here on in.

Allrie said...

Two of my kids were in he best Kindergarden class/program and another year, because I was so familiar with the program I got to long term sub in it. What was so great was that the teachers had one class am or pm, then had the other half of the day to prep. Also parents were expected to help in the classroom on a regular basis. Depending on the parent, they might supervise outside time, read stories, act as a general aide or take home paper to cut out whatever needed cutting, etc. I worked in the classroom one day each week for Vinnie, and I think a little less often for Lura [dependant upon my classload at the time. It worked really well. The classes were large, but quite mnagable [about 30] with all the help.

I hate to say this, but staying up that late is par for the course for most elementary school teachers until they've been teaching in the same program for awhile. In the US most of the states are following the Virginia model--which means that textbooks have yet to catch up requiring an awful lot of teacher made materials.

Perhaps all the concerned mothers could offer their time as classroom aides and as material preparers? Certainly more proactive than complaining.

Proud Mum said...

I guess I had missed that this new teacher was not a replacement, but in addition, and I thought that moving her to resource meant the class had to start with a new teacher. I understand now, thank you!

I echo what Allrie said, teaching is a 24/7 job. It's really sad, but it's true. When I was teaching my husband would beg me to do something fun for the weekend but we never did anything because even on the weekends I was consumed with grading and planning. That's why most new teachers leave the profession in the first three years -- it isn't that they don't like teaching, it's that for poverty wages it's just too much.

Proud Mum said...

HAPPY HALLOWE'EN!

Kris said...

AMEN Allrie! In my first 2 years of teaching I almost had a nervous breakdown...staying up is well yep par for the course. Oh and about getting "summers off" BULL! You finish at the end of the year and it takes 2-3 weeks (of about 8 weeks off) to clean out your class (since you have no help and most often have to change rooms) and then you spend the last 4 weeks preparing your lesson plans and getting your room ready for the next year...that leaves you with oh yes, a whole 1 week of amaizng rest. I hate anyone who uses that old argument...but teachers get som much time off. Again I say BULL!