Monday, October 23, 2006

Side Affect or A Symptom

On Saturday, a 61 year old man was at the Canadian Tire in Airdrie (small town north of Calgary). At 5:30am he was ambushed by what police say to be 5 males between the ages of 15 and 20. He was kicked in the head multiple times and is now bearly cling to life. This man is a grandpa.

I have so much I want t say, but cannot find the words.

I would like to blame our uncontrolable growth. Our city and surrounding area have experienced crazy growth and I guess with that growth you attract all kinds.

I would also like to blame media. Did you know there are videos out there that show kids how to beat up people? The videos don't even have a rating so anyone can buy them. I also find it strange that just over a week ago CSI had an episode that delt with this very thing.

Ultimately I would like to blame the kids but unfortunately those who are in the know are keeping quiet.

6 comments:

Proud Mum said...

Oh Alyson, I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry.

fourth_fret said...

the world has collectively disengaged from being humane. it's everywhere. and i worry we may never find our souls again. :(

Sariah said...

As I was reading this, I thought immediately of that CSI episode. I was sickened at the thought of these fisctional teenagers doing such an inhumane act, but to know realy people are doing it... I can't describe it. I have to cling on to the good things that other kids of the same age are doing just so I don't lose complete hope in teh following generations. There's not much hope left for our generation as it is.

Mrs. M said...

This is so incredibly sad and disturbing.

Anonymous said...

That is tragic at best! Ultimately you should blame the kids. They know what they are doing perfectly well. I have heard that there has been violence like that in Airdrie for some time 4 or 5 years or more if my memory serves me correctly. The thing that needs to happen is those kids when they are caught need to be made an example of... A very public example with all the media in attendance when they each get sentenced to 20 years with no chance of parole for 10 years. That message needs to be sent loud and clear. Make the punishment so tough that people think twice about such things. It will not work you say? It sure did when we lived in Singapore! It had extremely strict laws and they were enforced very well. People kept themselves in line because the punishment was just too horrible to think of.

Allrie said...

It is horribly sad, and it is a growing problem in that such things happen in more and more places.

I agree with Sarcy. Tough--really tough punishments. For everuthing! It's like the broken windows in NYC. They used to be everywhere. Giuliani took office and fixed the windeows and then the graffiti, then really punished for the smaller infractions as well as the large, and now NYC is one of the safest cities in the country

But it starts when they re young. I was embarassed for a young mom who came to church today to pickup her familiey's costumes. Her 4 1/2 yr old was [as usual] a real terror.

Thank you Sariah, and all the rest of you who teach your children proper public deportment. [Isay Sariah, as I was recently there and saw first hand how she deals with her kids.]

If this were an isolated incident, I wouldn't think anything except, the child neesa a nap. But it is a constant!