Monday, August 08, 2005

Boom Boom Ain't it Great To Be A Leavitt Part 2

Before I continue I need to give some background. My grandfather was the baby of a large family (11 boys and 2 girls). So as you can imagine there are a lot of people there each representing one of the 11 brothers or 2 sisters. Every one walks around with these name tags that show how they fit in. My sister has a great idea for name tags next time, but I can't tell because someone else might snatch it up. Next come the competitions.

Before any of the games start the tally is posted and for every game or race won points are awarded. My grandfathers family is at a disadvantage by sheer numbers. There are 20 years between the oldest and the youngest so my grandfather was the same age as some of his nephews. Growing up I hated the tally. We were always last not because we couldn't win but because we didn't have a representative for each age group. We may have gotten 1st place in our races but one of the other brothers would get both 2nd and 3rd. This year wasn't any different.

The first event was the water balloon toss. This isn't just any ordinary water balloon toss. 200 to 500 water balloons are slingshotted from a hill, 2 or 3 at a time, onto a field of people holding the corners of blankets, towels, sheets or anything else that might aid in the catching of these water balloons. This is fun but you have to be on your toes because it really hurts when you get hit. It took a while but, Tim and I developed a rhythm and a technique and were able to catch 6 all on our own. We tied for first place because Eldon (one of the brothers) had more people out there catching balloons. Individually we caught more but they had more people out there.

2 comments:

terrierchica said...

I don't know you, but you know my sister. I don't even know how you know my sister. I feel so...naive? Nah, that's not it. Uninformed, that's it!
But engineers are way cool people.

ABQ Mom said...

My husband is the oldest of 5. His mom is the youngest of 8. I understand where you are coming from. I am the oldest of 3. My mom is #4 of 5. Again, I understand. My two children are the ONLY grandchildren on both sides. Family reunions are always interesting!