Friday, December 30, 2005

My Top 5 Christmas Songs


This last month I have experienced or have been bombarded (bomb-bard, get it? Bard, being a musician, ok not so funny) by Christmas songs. I think I have heard 6 different versions of "Santa Baby" including one orchestral version. Who knew? After weeding through the junk (because everybody and their dog does a Christmas album) here are my Top 5 Christmas Songs for 2005:

5. "White Christmas" Bing Crosby. A classic and since we didn't get one, I was dreaming of a white Christmas

4. "Baby it's Cold Outside" The Elf version. I'm particular about the version as the Simpson Lachey version is lacking. He holds his own but here voice is too wispy. Its a jazzy song it needs a clear voice.

3. "Little Town" Cliff Richard. Amy Grant did this song too, but I like his version better.

2. "Breath of Heaven" Amy Grant

1. "O Holy Night" Lee Greenwood. Not everyone can do O holy night but this country bumpkin can.

I'd like to give an honorable mention to "What Child is this?", and "Last Christmas" by Wham. What can I say I'm a child of the 80's

6 comments:

Proud Mum said...

Wham did Christmas music? I have got to get myself a copy of that. I'm willing to risk the inevitable taunting of my husband for it.

That's a nice list, by the way.

Philosophical Karen said...

Hey, Proud Mum, if you're on your way to the music store, wake me up before you gogo! (Just kidding.)

Alyson, one of my personal favourites is Bing Crosby and David Bowie doing "Little Drummer Boy." If I can see it as well as hear it (it was on one of the Christmas specials in the late 70s, I think), that's a bonus.

Thanks for your list. I agree about the strong voices thing. Some singing styles are just completely wrong for certain songs.

Anonymous said...

What about the other classic tunes such as Weird Al's The Night Santa Went Crazy, and Christmas at Ground Zero?

Proud Mum said...

Well if we're going to be silly let me add my favourite silly Christmas song: Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck Days of Christmas.

It has a special meaning for me, but I think the general public can appreciate it, too.

ABQ Mom said...

Okay a Silly Songs List HAS to have "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer"! That is one of my husband's favorite songs, it makes him laugh every time he hears it.

Nice list, I appreciate a good christmas song, and I agree some people just don't have the right voice for certain songs. And EVERYBODY has their own version, I had the horrible experience of hearing Regis Philbin singing on the Fox New Years Countdown Show. I know Letterman has been making fun of him, and I felt bad for him, but after hearing him I KNOW why Letterman found it so funny that people were actually BUYING the album!

Philosophical Karen said...

No Christmas at Ground Zero, please! A certain young member of this household sang that song obsessively over Christmas. Enough already!